You can never be too careful

Discussion in 'MUSHROOMS IN THE NEWS' started by Wonder Girl, Jun 8, 2012.

  1. Wonder Girl

    Wonder Girl Active Member Moderator Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2012
    Messages:
    1,083
    Melbourne woman dies after eating mushrooms



    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/woman-dies-after-eating-mushroom/story-e6frg6of-1226389462485

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-07/woman-critical-after-eating-poisonous-mushrooms/4058482

    The Box Hill woman, aged in her early 50s, was taken to the Austin Hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday, suffering severe poisoning.
    The woman died today, the hospital said in a brief statement, adding that the family had requested privacy.
    Austin Hospital emergency department director Dr Fergus Kerr said that the woman, of Chinese background, ate a meal on the weekend that contained mushrooms picked in a park in Box Hill.
    He warned one death cap mushroom was enough to kill a person and about half the people who eat them die.
    Two people died in Canberra earlier this year after eating such mushrooms.
    Death cap poisoning can be hard to detect as it can take up to 24 hours for initial symptoms to appear.
     
  2. RiverDweller

    RiverDweller Moderator Moderator Expert Identifier

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Messages:
    1,832
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Oregon
    :( always sorry to hear a mushroom lover dies from eating them.
     
  3. Professor PinHead

    Professor PinHead Lost in the Tek.... Administrator Mushroom Doctor Cannabis Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Messages:
    9,167
    Location:
    A Rhizomorphic Space
    Yea, not good, :(
     
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Messages:
    5,141
    Location:
    Here
    Very sad.
     
  5. Major Myc

    Major Myc pasture pirate Mushroom Doctor

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Messages:
    3,917
    Location:
    the armpit of america
    i found a few that i believe to be phalloides in the park on our hunt one day, i wont even pick them to add to our basket even though they are very pretty, any white mushroom with a volva i won't touch, just admire from a distance. that is really sad
     
  6. EvilMushroom666

    EvilMushroom666 Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Messages:
    2,222
    Location:
    Canada
    I am often curious if just handling some of the more deadly mushrooms can be bad? Like what would happen if you handled death caps or a deadly galerina and then rubbed your eyes, or just went throughout your day?
     
  7. Jeff

    Jeff Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Messages:
    5,141
    Location:
    Here
    Pretty sure you have to injest it.
     
  8. EvilMushroom666

    EvilMushroom666 Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Messages:
    2,222
    Location:
    Canada
    As some of you know I do suffer from an anxiety disorder and often times when mushroom hunting the thought of touching and handling wild mushrooms will weird me out and if I let my mind wonder to much I can easily have a panic attack and convince myself that the mushroom is affecting me...I do not know sometimes where all this comes from but its a fucking HUGE pain in the ass.

    Sorry for getting off topic, just trying to settle my irrational fears.
     
  9. Jeff

    Jeff Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Messages:
    5,141
    Location:
    Here
    Does that help at all?
     
  10. EvilMushroom666

    EvilMushroom666 Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Messages:
    2,222
    Location:
    Canada
    I little bit...sometimes my anxiety persists regardless of rational thought or scientific data tho...its a work in progress...I try to push myself and realize my fears are irrational as all fuck.
     
  11. Jeff

    Jeff Well-Known Member Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2011
    Messages:
    5,141
    Location:
    Here
    Believe me it took me a long time to get over that type of thing. Probably the biggest thing that helped me out was the resentfulness I felt towards my mother for her extreme paranoia. It was very debilitating when I was younger.
     
  12. UncleG

    UncleG Member Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2012
    Messages:
    188
    I know I touched one wild mushroom one day and it stung a bit. One of the reason I love sites like this is because you get people to help identify. My first hen of the woods was beautiful but I made sure to get pics then got some id help first.
     
  13. rogue

    rogue ♥ Hooked on Mycelium ♥ Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    7,032
    Location:
    Jefferson State, Hardiness Zone 7B
    This seems to happen a lot with people from parts of Asia, as I don't believe they have dethcaps over there and grow up picking/eating something that looks very similar.

    That's a fucked up way to go. :(
     
  14. ManicMongrel

    ManicMongrel Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Messages:
    366
    Location:
    Northern Europe
    Webcaps Cortinarius rubellus are supposedly poisonous enough to make you seriously ill just from licking your fingers after touching them, and in the case of people with reduced kidney function, its enough to finish them off. It proved often enough that you can perfectly well get a serious poisoning from tasting and spitting out a small piece, so I would not take it for a myth.

    Its very common in northern Europe, poisonings happen pretty much every season.
     
  15. Major Myc

    Major Myc pasture pirate Mushroom Doctor

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Messages:
    3,917
    Location:
    the armpit of america
    I got real lucky I ate some shrooms I found a few times, thank bill they weren't poisonous. I know now I ate a bluing bolete, some little inactive pans, and some little bright orange tree mushrooms I can't recall the name of. I was a dumbass back then as I'm sure a lot of folks were. I had a buddy who once bought a loaf of rye bread and let it get moldy and then ate all the mold thinking he would get an ergot buzz
     
  16. Alan Rockefeller

    Alan Rockefeller Moderator Moderator Expert Identifier

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    All countries have death caps and/or Amanitas from section Phalloideae, unless they are 100% desert.

    I doubt that. You would probably need to eat an entire mushroom.

    That is a myth. What is your source for that info?


    I have tasted many deadly mushrooms including death caps, Pholiotina rugosa and Galerina marginata. They taste like nothing. Never experienced any ill effects.

    Tasting deadly mushrooms is safe as long as you spit them out. If you are paranoid you can wash out your mouth with water.
     
  17. ManicMongrel

    ManicMongrel Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Messages:
    366
    Location:
    Northern Europe
    There hasnt been much research on Cortinarius toxins, but the health authorities in Norway and Sweden gives this description:

    "....Critical poisoning after ingesting tiny pieces of the mushroom has been documented. The concentrations of orellanine in lethal webcaps has been measured to 0.5 - 1.5% of dry weight....." http://www.helsebiblioteket.no/Forgiftninger/Sopp/Spiss+giftslørsopp+og+butt+giftslørsopp+(sopp+som+gir+nyreskade)+-+behandlingsanbefaling+ved+forgiftning.12818.cms I couldn't get the translation to work for this one.

    Mycologist Klaus Høiland from University of Oslo, gave an interview about Cortinarius in this article:
    http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apollon.uio.no%2Fartikler%2F2009%2Fgiftsopp.html The translation is not very good but the part about webcaps is fair enough.

    It contains more toxins than just orellanine, so LD50 studies of this toxin alone give fairly crude estimate of the overall toxicity of webcaps.

    If a tiny piece is enough to give renal failure, then its not unlikely that tasting a tiny piece or squeezing a mushroom before licking your fingers should be enough to make you seriously ill in my opinion.
     
  18. rogue

    rogue ♥ Hooked on Mycelium ♥ Moderator Mushroom Doctor Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    7,032
    Location:
    Jefferson State, Hardiness Zone 7B
    Thanks Alan. good to know.

    Do you know why it seems it is very often Asians that die in the states and elsewhere eating deathcaps?
    Is it because they hunt and eat more than other cultures?
     
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  19. nomendubium

    nomendubium scraping by, since '97 Expert Identifier

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    2,949
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Ohio
    I've heard most often it is a mistake in identifying he paddy-straw mushroom, Volvariella volvacea
     
  20. wildernessjunkie

    wildernessjunkie Inoculator Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    817
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    HTTP: 404 Not Found
    So if I read that right, its the metabolites rather than the fungal tissue that causes the poisoning?

    Edit - Just realised that there were two pages to this thread. I was referring to the quote that Jeff posted on page 1.
     
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012