Melbourne woman dies after eating mushrooms http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/woman-dies-after-eating-mushroom/story-e6frg6of-1226389462485 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-07/woman-critical-after-eating-poisonous-mushrooms/4058482 The Box Hill woman, aged in her early 50s, was taken to the Austin Hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday, suffering severe poisoning. The woman died today, the hospital said in a brief statement, adding that the family had requested privacy. Austin Hospital emergency department director Dr Fergus Kerr said that the woman, of Chinese background, ate a meal on the weekend that contained mushrooms picked in a park in Box Hill. He warned one death cap mushroom was enough to kill a person and about half the people who eat them die. Two people died in Canberra earlier this year after eating such mushrooms. Death cap poisoning can be hard to detect as it can take up to 24 hours for initial symptoms to appear.