Substrate surface turns blue after a week of fruiting

Discussion in 'CONTAMINATION' started by Bobby Spoto, Apr 19, 2018.

  1. Bobby Spoto

    Bobby Spoto Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2017
    Messages:
    68
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    West coast central Fla
    This is the third time that I've ever ran into this problem and it seems the only thing I can think of is that maybe I sprayed Lysol too much in the air in the room and it somehow got into the air inside of this monotub fruiting chamber here are some pics of what it looks like now. It's still fruiting about done with the first flush and the mushrooms seem okay but the discoloration has happened 3 times now, once when I sprayed my Martha down with bleach and I guess I didn't let it dry out completely, second time I used some perlite that had already been used and I cleaned it with bleach water and I'm assuming the same thing happened after a few days of being in a fruiting chamber with the recently bleached perlite and now this all the sudden turns the same color..the mushrooms are fines so far but has anybody ever seen this? Ill show a pic of it a cpl days ago then the one I took tonight a cpl hours ago. The first picture is before pulled the fruits that were ready and then I misted and I do my Fanning with the little electronic fan and I hold it there for a minute or two and then I give it a spray like always and when I came back tonight about 6 hours later it look like that..you can't really see the blue myc very good in the pics but in person it looks bad..these are F+ btw.. View attachment 69774 View attachment 69776 View attachment 69775
     
  2. kdmmontana

    kdmmontana Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,818
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sweden
    look below
     
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. kdmmontana

    kdmmontana Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,818
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sweden
    That greying ..hmm I see it now..well. IDK honestly but if you have fruits then..IDK. However spraying your room with Lysol isnt recommended. There is no need to sterilize your grown substrates in any way, they will keep themselves healthy and airborne contaminants cant get to a colonized substrate that easy. If you spray stuff into the air it can alnd on your substrate and both Lysol and Bleach will harm your cakes substrates very much. Its the same with the Perlite, bleach isnt really necessary unless you have some SERIOUS contaminant and thats also only in the colonizing stage.

    1. Dont fill the air with airborne chemicals
    2. You dont need to sterilize a rack or a growtub, just wash it with soap (dish detergent easiest method) and rinse well. Mushroom Mycelium has its own defense against bacteria and molds, ive grown cakes that died but survived more than a month in full bacterial attack. The mycelium still fruited inside those cakes although I couldnt fruit them myself.

    The greying could be blueing also its hard to tell, but as I said there is no need to sterilize everyting around you so focus on good sterile inoculation and sterilizationa nd you will be fine:)
     
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    redcat likes this.
  4. Bobby Spoto

    Bobby Spoto Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2017
    Messages:
    68
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    West coast central Fla
    Thank you man believe it or not that was very helpful thank you very much