My first grow, GT in a monotub.

Discussion in 'MUSHROOM CULTIVATION' started by Mushbah, Jun 29, 2019.

  1. Mushbah

    Mushbah New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Gender:
    Male
    I started my steps of my first grow today. I am doing a NSNS whole oats prep for my grain spawn. I decided to try making my grain spawn lids with just one hole and 3 pieces of micropore tape to cover the hole. I wanted to do the simplest method for my first grow and watch a video about someone only using micropore tape on their GS lids.

    I've hit a little bump in the road as my hot plate I've purchase dowant seem to be powerful enought to make my PC cool at 15 PSI. Its hissing and surely pretty close to 15 psi. I will cook for an extra half hour to compansate for the lower psi.

    I am going to inoculate with GT. I have hear some bad things about going straight from the syringe to grain. I have been trying to read about agar and learn how to use that.

    This being my first grow I purchase 8 syringes. Maybe overkill.

    I will continue to document my first try at growing some mush. Any tips and advise is appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. n0j0y

    n0j0y Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2017
    Messages:
    570
    Can't really offer much in terms of tips on top of pinned stuff in here so far with where you are.

    Personally I'm a big fan of filter disks to ensure no contams and definitely a fan of spore to agar to grain since you never know what is in the syringe and a lot easier to see on agar than in grain but plenty go the spore route, just burns through it much faster.


    Good luck with the grow, we are out here if there are any specific questions. Hopefully covering top of cooker will aid in getting to pressure.
     
  3. Mushbah

    Mushbah New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Gender:
    Male
    Thanks n0j0y, I have some reading to do on syringe to agar to grain.

    I dont think I had enought water in my grain as it was kinda dry after the PC. From pictures I've seen, It looks like the grain should be slimy and moist after the PC. I'm considering doing a soak for the next batch or just adding more water to the jars. I still used a syringe on the first batch of grain to see what comes of it.
     
  4. n0j0y

    n0j0y Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2017
    Messages:
    570
    How did you do the prep this time? General guidance I read is you want the grain to have moisture inside but outside mostly dry.

    This varies greatly depending on prep but shouldn't deeply impact things if core things are done. Generally for me at least the no boil cold soak some of us have migrated too end up with it looking drying than normal tends to work fine.
     
  5. Mushbah

    Mushbah New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Gender:
    Male
    That's good, I just did my second batch of jars and I made sure I had enough water but the grains still look a little dry. I was worried a bit. I will knock them tomorrow. I havent checked my first batch of jars yet. I was waiting for 1 week to see if I can see any myc. Thanks again
     
  6. Mushbah

    Mushbah New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Gender:
    Male
    An update to my jars.

    First batch started 18 days ago. 2 jars have been shaken and are coming along. I accidentally used too little water due to a conversion issue. They all have mycelium but are slower to spread then my second batch of jars.

    Second batch of jars started 14 days ago. One jar is almost completely colonized. 4 out of 7 jars have been shaken. The mycelium is growing and spreading better then the first batch of grain. Everything looks nice and white and fluffy.

    I will post some pictures of both batches of jars.

    I also made some fish food agar and have inoculated 4 jars. All 4 jars are fully colonized. I used 250ml wide mouth jars. PC'ed the agar solution in the jars. My next batch of grain I will try cutting the mycelium off the agar inside my SAB and adding to steralized grains.

    More pics and updates to follow.
     
    Montana and n0j0y like this.
  7. Mushbah

    Mushbah New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2019
    Messages:
    8
    Gender:
    Male
    I did a coir and verm bucket tek today. I had 5 jars of fully colonized grain. Lots of rhizomorphic growth in the jars. Smelled good coming out of the jars, like mushrooms. I used a 58 canadian quart tub and spray painted it black on the outside bottom. So no liner in the tub. I used misrospore tape in different layers as per some tek. I would have took pictures but i was in too big of a rush. I am putting the tub in my budding room for a 12 hour on off lighting. Leaving on vacation for 8 days and will check it when I get back. I'm.going to take a second try at uploading photos.
     
    Montana likes this.